The Bear River in Idaho near PacifiCorp's hydroelectric facilities is a valuable source of public recreation. In particular, the Black Canyon below the Grace dam and the Oneida Narrows below the Oneida dam provide opportunities for whitewater recreation, depending on the time of year and the availability of water. The Settlement Agreement signed on August 28, 2002 and PacifiCorp's license issued by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission on December 23, 2003 includes several measures to enhance whitewater recreation near the project facilities.
These enhancements include:
- Providing put-in and take-out facilities near the Grace and Oneida developments for use by whitewater recreationists;
- Providing additional water over the dam into Black Canyon when flood conditions result in at least 500 cfs spill over Grace dam;
- Beginning in 2008, providing scheduled releases of whitewater flows into Black Canyon during the spring and early summer of each year;
- Providing information from 3 river gages on a toll-free Flow Phone; and
- Providing information on river flows and scheduled whitewater releases on a website so that the public can better plan their recreational experience.
Please contact us at 1-800-547-1501 for flow information.
Bear River Gages: